The roof of a building is an important aspect within a home requiring annual inspection and timely maintenance in order to avoid costly unforeseen renovations that could have be a stressful process in the case of having to attend to at an unplanned timeline.
With focus on outlasting warranty timelines provided, information is compiled below to assist in extending the lifespan of roofs to benefit homeowners.
- Debris – Removal of debris collected over an annual timeline is important in the case no additional process is required or the roof is a newly completed. With leaves and dust to bird droppings being the general debris collected on roofs annually, the collection tends to clog drainage and gutters eventually having to be replaced or with cleaning consuming large amounts of time for completion. Material left unattended tends add weight on the roof and eventually causing sagging or collapsing. Usage of a broom is recommended to sweep and collect debris as opposed to usage of power washers that could damage roofing and subsequently voiding warranties.
- Tree Trimming – Branches of trees are required to trim in the case overlapping the roof and the possibility of landing on top. Pruning and trimming are essential in minimizing leaf collection atop roofs that effect water drainage from roofs.
- Fungus & Algae – With moss, fungus and algae affecting most roofs, removal can be completed with usage of bleach and water mixed in equal parts and sprayed on the areas. Prevention also could be completed with usage of zinc or copper strips installed at the ridge of the roof enabling rainwater to mix with the mineral particles creating a coat on the roof acting as a protective layer. The process can be completed through a call for a quote from a reputed roofing solutions provider in ensuring the roof is provided optimum protection from natural elements.
- Snow & Ice – Usage of a roof rake is advised by professionals along with caution to be exercised in the process which could cause serious injury. The process is required to reduce weight of the roofing structure which causes significant stress.
- Shingle Maintenance – With windstorms and elements effecting shingles on the roof, fixing can be completed through application of roofing cement. Ignorance leads to water penetration causing structural damage subsequently.
- Inspection – with usage of single ply flat roofing products commonly used for lying of shingles, inspection for cracking and blistering is highly important. The damage tends to allow water floor under the roofing material and cause further complications. Usage of sealants or replacement if required is mandatory in curbing structural damage.
If the inspection and attending process is considered too risky, the best option to explore ideally is a roofing contractor. Most specialists provide long term solutions on cost effective levels enabling the extension of roof life without the hassle or stress of having to complete the process by yourself.